The tree lights
According to a UK Newspaper, a £10,500 electronic Christmas tree in County Durham had to be taken down due to the risk of somebody being electrocuted. The LED-tree had to be guarded overnight because of its 240v rating. This was particularly concerning as guidelines suggested a maximum voltage for an unsupervised public display of just 24v.
Looking closer to home, your tree lights should, of course, be tested by the manufacturer to comply with recognised standards e.g. BS Kitemark. A visual scan for damaged wires or broken bulbs should be made. Of course, don’t put the tree near a water or heat source ie electric kettles or radiators. And don’t use indoor lights outdoors. And keep the kids away. Avoid trailing flexes and overloaded sockets. Injuries include people falling while they’re putting them up, children swallowing the bulbs, and people getting electric shocks.
Maybe you shouldn’t go this far with your lights….gives one a headache…might cause cars to crash!
The tree itself
If not natural, the tree should be flame retardant. If you use a freshly cut tree, which you have standing in water, be careful to separate the bottom from any artificial lights on its branches.
According to the NHS, more than 80,000 people a year need hospital treatment for injuries such as falls, cuts and burns during Christmas time. Beware of your Christmas tree. That Norwegian spruce is not as innocent as it looks. Every year, about 1,000 people are injured by their tree, usually while fixing decorations, lights on to the higher branches.
Even Christmas decorations can cause accidents
About 1,000 people a year are hurt when decorating their homes. Children bite into glass baubles and adults fall while using unstable chairs instead of ladders to put up streamers…
Novelty decorations, such as stuffed Santas, reindeer and snowmen, which look like toys, may not comply with strict toy safety regulations. Therefore, they should not be within the reach of children.